Sunday, February 16, 2014

Airplane wings and weddings

We are just getting home from a quick weekend trip to MI for Bo's sister Katie's wedding.  It was a lovely, Valentine's Day affair. Small and simple, but with all the love, family, and friends that make such events unforgettable and oh so special. It also made for Forrest's first airplane ride.  I have to say, he looked the part in his little aviator jacket, but had more than a few choice words to shriek while experiencing pressure change for the first time.   I think we had every single surrounding person lamenting with us and exchanging advice that was "sure to work" as we struggled to help him pop his ears or whatever his little body needed to do.   Poor thing.  The second flight I nursed him the whole 40 minutes and we barely heard a peep.  I think there is a certain amount of grace though for the heart-wrenching newborn cry.  A toddler's bellows may not elicit quite so many kind-hearted grimaces. I'm sure we'll find out in another couple years. 
Walking around the airport, we took turns holding the little man in the front pack. It was all I could do to hide the twinkle and little giggle every time Bo took him. Don't tell Bo I said this, but he positively strutted every time he was holding Forrest. It may have just been the 12 lbs strapped to his front and the sudden change in center of gravity, but I swear his chest puffed out, his gate changed, and I almost expected a plume of peacock feathers to suddenly spread out behind him.   

On Saturday, Forrest gave the bride a run for her money in the attention-getting department.  Next wedding I may have to lock him in a closet or something so he doesn't steal all the oohs and aahhs. It is fun, though, to see him interact and engage with people so much more than even a few weeks ago. He loves his older cousins a
nd they all can't wait "until he does stuff" as 4 yr. old Logan says.  I was never really that close with my cousins growing up -- for both distance and age factors.  Bo, however, has over 20 first and second cousins that he grew up with and spent nearly every summer at the lake with.  I hope and pray that Forrest gets to experience that kind of camaraderie and extended family adventures. They are for sure friendships and memories that are priceless.  



No comments:

Post a Comment